Retrieve Course Curriculum

Saturday, February 15, 2025

Trina's Homework 2025 Retrieve

As a prior Retrieve Class graduate here is my experience and Journey:  

My Journey Through the Summer 2024 Retrieve Class

Starting Out – Hesitation and Uncertainty

When I first signed up for the Retrieve Class, I wasn’t entirely convinced it was the right decision. Zoey, my tiny toy poodle, wasn’t exactly built for retrieving, and the idea of teaching her to willingly hold and bring back objects seemed like a long shot. But deep down, I knew that working through this skill would help build her confidence and for me to become a better handler. I wanted to push both of us outside our comfort zones.

At the beginning, there were moments of deep frustration—Zoey was hesitant and sometimes outright resisted when I tried to put something in her mouth. For such a tiny thing, she fought at times letting me know this is not what she wanted to do. I often questioned whether I was asking too much of her and if I was even doing the right thing by keeping her in this class. Then came a night I’ll never forget—I completely broke down, tears and all. I felt overwhelmed, convinced that I was pushing Zoey too hard, and decided I needed to pull her from the course.

The next day, I approached Roxanne and told her how frustrated both Zoey and I were. I explained that I hated the idea of quitting, but I also felt like I was traumatizing my dog and jeopardizing our bond. Maybe I should just be happy with how far we had already come.

Roxanne listened, and in her calm, steady way, simply said, “We need to work through this. You need to relax, backwash, and approach the problem differently.” Then, she took Zoey and me aside for about 30 minutes to pinpoint where things were breaking down and what adjustments were needed to help Zoey succeed.

And wow—by the end of that session, Zoey was actually doing what she needed to be doing. It wasn’t perfect, but it was progress. I was amazed at how Roxanne adapted the training to meet us where we were, breaking things down into tiny, manageable steps that made success feel achievable. She encouraged even the smallest victories—steps so small they barely seemed like progress at first. But they were progress, and that made all the difference.

Small Victories and favorite moments. 

Then came the small victories—the first time Zoey willingly placed her mouth on the dumbbell without immediately spitting it out, the moment she held it for a full minute, and the first time she confidently picked it up off the ground. Eventually, she completed a full retrieve—Zoey-sized, but with enthusiasm. Each milestone felt like magic, making every moment of frustration worth it. I quickly learned that patience, consistency, and trusting the process were essential. It was easy to glance at other dogs excelling and wonder if we were lagging behind, but Roxanne constantly reminded us that every dog’s journey is unique. She ensured that each team worked at their own pace, focusing on their own objectives rather than comparisons.

Over time, everything started to feel more natural. The retrieve was no longer a battle but a chance for  Zoey and I to work together, a chance for me to really give lots and praise, and a chance to build a stronger bond of trust, love and respect. Watching her joy and pride in getting it right made me realize just how much she had transformed—not just in retrieving but in her overall confidence and willingness to take on challenges. But the change wasn’t just in Zoey. I had evolved too—becoming more patient, adaptable, and willing to embrace the learning process, setbacks and all.

One defining moment came when I gave the “fetch” command, and without hesitation, Zoey raced out, retrieved the dumbbell, and returned straight into a perfect SSIF, patiently waiting for the “give” cue. It was a moment of pure clarity—I could see just how much she had grown.

Another unforgettable moment occurred during practice when a cat wandered into our training space, weaving around Zoey. I issued the “fetch” command, and she promptly went for the dumbbell. On her way back, the cat positioned itself directly in her path. Zoey paused, gave it a brief but pointed glance as if to say, “Step aside. I have work to do.” Then, with unwavering focus, she maneuvered around the distraction and finished the retrieve. That earned her plenty of praise!

Where We Are Now – Looking Ahead

By the end of the course, Zoey and I had reached a point where I never imagined we would be. She may still be tiny, but she’s proving that size doesn’t define ability. I know that everything we learned in this class will carry over into other areas of training. More than anything, this journey has reinforced the bond between us—I see her trust in me, and I trust her more than ever.

Final Thoughts for New Retrieve Students

  • Trust the process. Progress might not always be obvious, but every tiny step forward matters.
  • Celebrate small wins. Don’t get stuck in the mindset of what’s not working—acknowledge what is.
  • Don’t compare your journey to others. Every dog and handler team progresses at their own pace. 
  • Keep it positive! The more you make training a positive experience, the more your dog will want to participate.
  • Stick with it. The journey might have its ups and downs, but the growth you’ll see in both you and your dog is absolutely worth it. 




4 comments:

  1. My Homework for Retrieve Class 2025 has been uploaded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your perspective, Trina!!😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina, I loved reading through your post. I can so relate to how you felt through your retrieve journey with Zoey. I had very similar moments with Mo and I’m expecting the same with El. I remember the frustration when it felt like we’d never move on but then there would be a breakthrough, a cause to celebrate! I especially appreciate your “Final Thoughts”. I’m going to print them out and post them as a reminder to keep the right perspective and to keep going! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for your valuable insight. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one made me tear up, Trina. I will never forget watching the video with the cat! And I, too, needed a one-on-one coaching session with Roxanne and Niko to reassess where we were and what we needed to change to help Niko succeed. And we made it! 🥰

    ReplyDelete