Retrieve Course Curriculum

Sunday, February 16, 2025

Kat RC Grad Homework

Roxanne asked, "Have you done your homework?" Why, no. I certainly had not. But I'm stuck at work and things are slow for the time being, so there is no better time than the present. 

I feel it is just impossible to list just what I learned through the Summer of 2024. What complicates this is that each course builds on the others, and what we learn builds on what we have learned... everything blends. 

No matter what I share, it will not be able to touch the surface of the incredible growth this course offers ourselves, our dogs, and our relationships together. 

...I've given those three paragraphs a bit more than 12 hours to marinate and had the opportunity to read Trina and Mary's homework and it has helped me catch my footing, I think. 

We spend a lot of time watching videos.
This is what Niko does when she hears Roxanne's voice.
(Also Trina's voice, yesterday!)

The RC last summer was challenging. I think about how much fun it was-- how much I enjoyed spending time with my newfound tribe (or pack), and looking back, I think about how much we've grown. Until I was reading about Trina's experience, I forgot just how painful the growing part was.  

How Niko feels about the 'Fetch'

We worked through it.

 Like Trina, I don't own an actual retriever. I own a beautiful, independent, quite uninterested in 'fetch,' malamute. Toward the end of the course last year she went into heat and we decided to take a break. We only finished the final exam in the past month or so!


We had our breaking points, too. I took so many 'what am I doing wrong' videos. I had my doubts at various moments. 


Every step of the way, Roxanne and the rest of her pack- of dogs and of people- were there with us to offer support, encouragement, and celebratory outbursts once we finally succeeded.


I'm excited to play that part for our new RC students, this year. It is truly such a challenging experience. But one of the best experiences, as well. 

This was taken during a special coaching session with Roxanne, Niko, and I.
Roxanne watched what was happening and helped me change my process
in order to help the puppy feel her success and enjoy it.
(At least as much as a malamute can...) 


When we came back this spring and finished out our exams, I was truly surprised at how much Niko had retained. The break seemed to give her the time she needed to mature a little more and almost miss working with me! 


One of our successful 40' retrieves!

Somehow the course can feel like it's dragging one along, even while the steps are so tiny... Those tiny steps build on our Foundation Course knowledge to result in an amazing relationship with a dog that remembers


Roxanne is a pretty stellar photographer, too. 🥰

I will be MIA today, but I'm excited to join the rest of you next week! Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this Kat. We missed you and Niko. It was a CRAZY class, once I get the class videos uploaded, you will see. Hope to post tomorrow. We started the advanced graduate dogs/owners on metal dowels today.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete