I fall into both categories as I am a new student with my second dog and a RC graduate with my first.
NEW STUDENT
I took my first dog, Molly, through the Mannerly Puppy course, the FC, RC, PPP, and TTTT. I originally sought out training for Molly when she was a puppy because I knew we needed it. Last summer I got a new puppy, Ellie. She has also gone through the Mannerly puppy course, has almost finished the FC and will be starting the retrieve course tomorrow. Yay!
With both dogs, the FC created a bond between us that I didn’t expect. Rather than “just training” it forged a relationship between us. My dogs trust me and they know when I give a command, they are to obey. Over time I’ve almost taken for granted how well-trained they are after going through the FC. I love the transformation, seeing them go from unwieldy pups running amok to dogs who can exercise self control (as in holding stays, ignoring distractions, etc). It’s a process and it continues. Neither of my dogs are perfect but they are much more enjoyable than they were before the training. Thanks to Roxanne and Jessi who have patiently coached me and offered encouragement through the years.
Molly.
Ellie
PRIOR RETRIEVE GRADUATE STUDENTS
Molly went through and graduated from the RC in Fall, 2022. It was quite the experience. Molly loved to “play fetch” in the backyard with her toys but this was a whole different ball game. This is formal retrieve on command. We had several breakdowns (which I was told are normal) and a few times we got stuck. One of the things I loved about the course was figuring out how to get through those times when I was so discouraged I wanted to quit. It was a matter of finding a way to help Molly understand what was required. Roxanne was so good at suggesting alternative ways to help us get unstuck and move on! Once again, the transformation in my dog was amazing. Not only was her retrieve solid by the end but we had added new layers to her obedience training while deepening the bond between us. It’s a challenging course, but a great course. None of us are alone in this. We have a system of support provided by our incredible dog community. We help one another and cheer each other on! I’m excited to get started!
Ellie thinks she’s a retriever. She finds cans on our hikes. She’s learned this from Ruth who is an actual retriever!
Molly, Fall 2024




I love how you mention the support system we have within our dog community. It sure helps through the tough times. I’m excited to watch you and Ellie in this course. You two are going to do amazing.
ReplyDeleteI love our group!!
DeleteI love it, too!
DeleteLet's NOT tell Ellie 🤫 that she's NOT a Labrador Retriever😘ðŸ¤. Mum's the word😉
ReplyDeleteMum’s the word! 😂😂😂
Delete