Retrieve Course Curriculum

Friday, August 1, 2025

Post grad work

 With bird season around the corner I’ve been wanting to get one of the ring neck doves to start working Remi on birds. (Side story, I was dialing in my pellet gun tonight and my daughter who has shown no interest in hunting asked if she could shoot the gun. After a bit she was doing pretty well when a dove landed on the line above our target. She asked if she could take the shot and now I have a dove to train with.)

Now that I have my training tool, we started with an introduction to the object, moved onto the bench and did some holds. Then added a distraction of my boy shooting the pellet gun while holding. Once the guns were put away we moved onto ground work and ended with a 5foot retrieve. 

The things that I have learned are so fundamentally to training and can be adopted for any goal Remi and I decide to go for. My next goal is to get her to start to point. I will keep you posted. 


2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome update, Dustin!!! Way to follow the sequencing I taught you so Remi could succeed.

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete